- Land Survey Technician
- Civil 3D CAD Manager/Designer/Drafter
- Survey Technician
Why Duncanson Company?
Duncanson Company has been serving the PNW for over 25 years. We have exceptional communication with our clients and a great track record with our projects. Over half of our staff team has been with us for over 10 years!
Our office is located within a few blocks of exits from 509 and 518 and the Burien transit center, with easy access to great restaurants, parks, and entertainment.
Our team enjoys an occasional barbecue lunch at the office, and team bonding/dinners twice annually. Our last theme was the “Escape Games” and prior to that we had a “Casino Night”.
Our employees enjoy:
- Competitive hourly pay with paid overtime
- Paid vacation/sick leave
- Three weeks paid leave (vacation and sick), plus the normal private sector holidays
- Medical and dental coverage
- Short and long term disability
- Retirement benefits
- Retirement plan is a self-directed Simple IRA, with company matching up to 3%
- Career enhancement training
- Coverage for approved continuing education classes
- Celebrations and holiday parties
- Free parking
- Paid monthly gym membership to L.A. Fitness
- Central location with easy access from Renton, West Seattle, Des Moines Federal Way, Kent and Auburn
- Walking distance from transit center, local L.A. Fitness, PCC, and various restaurants/shops
Civil 3D CAD Manager/Designer/Drafter
This position involves a mix of civil design/drafting in concert with CAD Manager duties such as upgrading our Civil 3D standards and styles. Our project mix varies from simple drainage plans for single family houses to small/medium size subdivision and commercial site developments.
Typical duties and assignments:
- Prepare site, grading, drainage, roadway, sewer, water and erosion control plans, profiles and details.
- Review jurisdiction roadway, zoning and stormwater standards in order to develop conceptual plans for feasibility studies.
- Research and download available site data, such as critical area maps, Lidar data, city/county GIS and aerial topo to develop conceptual plans.
- Set up Civil 3D alignments, profiles and roadway assemblies to generate corridors.
- Use Civil 3D feature lines and grading tools to generate finish ground surfaces for building sites, stormwater ponds, parking lots and landscape areas.
- Create Civil 3D storm drain, sewer and water pipe networks in plan and profile.
- Create figures and graphics for reports and presentations.
- Use volume surfaces to analyze grading volumes and adjust grading for efficiency.
- Coordinate with principal engineer, clients, architects and other design disciplines for site plan development and grading, including conformance with ADA accessibility standards.
- While using our existing standards and styles, identify needed improvements. Obtain input from current engineers, surveyors and drafting staff.
- Upgrade and create new layer standard systems; linetypes; and Civil 3D objects, parts and styles to more efficiently work and take advantage of Civil 3D capabilities. Update templates to implement upgrades
- Prepare workflow/user manual so that current and new employees can work effectively as we look to grow.
Abilities and work habits:
- Good problem solving and math skills.
- Strong ability to organize assignments and time to work effectively and independently.
- Clear and concise technical writing skills.
- Demonstrated desire and ability to learn and excel.
- Dependability and attention to detail.
- Interact amicably and often with other staff and consultants on coordinated efforts to achieve project goals.
- Several years’ experience in the industry or equivalent technical education/certificate.
- Experience with Civil 3D object and label styles, parts libraries, alignments, profiles, assemblies, corridors, feature lines, gradings, surfaces and pipe networks.
- Experience with ReCap, Revit, WWHM, MGS Flood, City of Seattle OSM Calculator, and MS Office would all be considered a plus.
- Organized and detail oriented.
Email a cover letter and resume highlighting your experience with the above duties and qualifications to info@duncansonco. com.
Job location is in Burien.
Survey Drafting Technician
Duncanson Company has a great opportunity for a full-time, survey drafting technician. Position requires experience and proficiency with Civil 3D to prepare boundary and topographic survey maps. Prior production drafting experience is preferred. Knowledge of point databases and inserting points into a drawing will be helpful. In addition, a willingness or ability to work in the field occasionally (instrument or rod) and/or experience with civil drafting are also desired.
Typical job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare survey maps, plans, and exhibits from collected survey data using Civil 3D
- Research legal, survey and right-of-way records to obtain information about boundaries and areas to be drafted
- Reduce and process field notes, sketches and digital data (survey points and DXF files)
- Build surfaces from collected survey data using Civil 3D
- Review title reports and associated legal descriptions and easements to determine how they affect the subject boundary and the surveyed site area
- Compare and possibly modify drawing and/or drawing blocks based on cross-reference to survey point list
- Prepare legal descriptions for boundaries and/or easements under the direction of the supervising surveyor
- Compile information necessary to stake projects for construction using approved architectural/engineering plans
- Develop construction staking calculations and points using Civil 3D
Qualifications should include:
- Experience and proficiency with Civil 3D – Required for consideration
- Ability to read and understand, as well as prepare legal descriptions – Required for consideration
- Ability to calculate boundaries and easements from legal descriptions – Required for consideration
- Understanding of state plane coordinate systems and vertical datums
- Ability to perform translations and datum shifts
- Ability to work on multiple projects under direction of multiple project managers
- Willing to work on team oriented projects and take direction from supervising surveyor
Email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Land Survey Field Technician
Boundary, topography, ALTA, monitoring and construction staking. Working knowledge of field equipment including Topcon total stations and GPS receivers along with Carlson field software a plus.
Typical Duties and Assignments
- Assist with preparing for and planning daily work
- Field data collection using manual or robotic total stations and GPS (both static and network)
- Data upload/download
- Equipment maintenance
- Reviewing maps
- Potential for out-of-town work
- Research record information
- Calculate maps
- Interacting with multiple project managers, site superintendents, field and office technicians and clients
Abilities and work habits
- Organization and effective use of time
- Demonstrated desire and ability to learn, lead and excel
- Dependability and attention to detail
- Follow oral and written instructions
- Positive attitude working in team environment
- Work with other survey and engineering staff to achieve project goals
- 2 years plus field survey experience is preferred
- Valid Washington State driver’s license
- Technical college degree preferred
- Willingness to work out of town occasionally
- Physically fit and able to lift and carry 50 pounds
- Experience with Autocad LDT or Civil 3D a plus
Office location is in Burien.
Job Type: Full-time